Thursday, September 8, 2011

How does time go by more quickly each year?

By the end of the week I will have completed my first full month of work for my new 'adult job.' I really love my job so far. My hours are awesome 10:30- 6:30 M-R, and 8:30-4:30 on Fridays. I get to plan all sorts of games, activities, and crafts for the students to participate in after school. I also get to go buy cool Wii games, cooking supplies, board games, crafty supplies, movies, etc. (It is so FUN to go shopping when you are not spending your own money!) I also have really enjoyed getting to know the kids better, because my program runs after school the kids seem to open up more and tell me all sorts of things. Yesterday, one of my student's parents were late picking her up so we had some extra time for good conversation. She told me she wants to go to college to major in science so she can do experiments and 'go deeper' in science and learn new things. She is so sweet. I told her a bit about my junior high, high school, and college experiences and then she asked me if I would go back if I could. I thought it was a funny thing to ask, but she really seemed interested in my answer. I said no, I would not go back, but I wish I could tell myself not to get so worked up about the little things and enjoy school and being a kid.

The young girl went on to say she can't wait to go to high school, so she can go to college, and then get a job, and begin to make money. And I thought about her answer, and I am there. I mean I made it through high school, enjoyed college, and now I have a great job I enjoy, but really I do miss being a child. I miss the innocence and the time spent with family and friends and learning new things each day. Lately, I really miss Purdue/my entire college experience. I loved it! I made mistakes, grew up, made new friends, tried new things, and made memories I'll never forget. It is so cliche but now I know and understand all those adults who would point their finger at me and tell me to enjoy being a child and not to grow up too fast.

Realizing time moves so quickly the older you get has made an impact on the way I try to live my life. I try to enjoy each moment, even if I don't particularly like the season of life I am in, I still want to try and savor it, and learn something from it. Like the Casting Crowns song says, I am truly a vapor in the wind, and I don't want my life to go by and realized that I have missed it, or that I was too busy complaining or worrying about the next season of life to miss out on the joy of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment