Monday, September 19, 2011

Missing Fall


It has finally cooled down from triple digit weather to the 90's. I guess this is what Texans would call fall. BUT it is not what I call fall. (When you can wear shorts and a tank top, that does not equate with autumn weather!) I miss the cool weather, the Purdue football games, fall sweaters, and Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes. More than missing an Indiana fall, I am beginning to really miss home. I think after being in Texas for a month the reality is beginning to hit that I'm here for good. This is my new home, and it is up to me to meet friends and use the time God has blessed me with here well.

Which keeps me wondering how can
I use this time well? I am trying to find my fit in this new 'adult life' where I go to work Monday- Friday, and spend my weekends with Bruce, reading, and cleaning/decorating our apartment. One of the things I miss most about college is that there are so many ways to be involved, to serve others, groups to join, etc. Now that I'm in a new place on my own, it takes much more effort to find ways to serve others, to find groups to join, and to build community. What can I do to serve the people in my community? It is a difficult question when Bruce and I are still trying to figure out who our community is, where they are, and what their needs our. I know God has a plan for us here, it just seems we are off to a slow start. We haven't been doing much but reading, and relaxing. But maybe this time is a gift from God. A time to get to know one another better, to learn how to be married, a time not to be stressed or worried, a time just to enjoy life. So strange to go from a busy college lifestyle when there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done, to a relaxing lifestyle where I actually have time to read for fun, and experiment with cooking. I pray that God gives me peace in this new phase of life, t
hat Bruce and I can begin to form community (I need some girl friends in my life), and that we can find ways to serve God in the Dallas community.

I am looking forward to receiving my first 'big girl' pay check this Tuesday! Wednesday Bruce and I are going to a group connect night at our church to try and get plugged into a small group, and on Friday (per one of Bruce's DTS class requirements) we are visiting a Buddhist Temple. Should be very interesting. Also, there are SO MANY fun things to do in Dallas, so Bruce an I are planning something fun for next weekend. Maybe a trip to mid-evil times, Fort Worth, or a show in Dallas? Hope all is well!




No comments:

Post a Comment