Thursday, October 6, 2011

A List of Thoughts

I want to write, but I have too many thoughts for words. But, I'll try. I'll make it a list today.

1. Yesterday was a hard day at work. I had to ask some of my favorite students to not come to my program Thursday because they were being disrespectful towards other teachers. Those students do have attitude and they are disrespectful at times, it is just so hard getting them to see themselves as disrespectful. I don't know what their home life is, but I know many of them don't even live with their parents, maybe an aunt or grandmother. I don't know how to relate to them. Luckily from what I've experienced middle schoolers don't stay mad long so hopefully by Monday they will be back with fresh perspectives. We'll see?

2. Bruce and I went to Elder-led prayer last night at church. It was our first time going and it was really cool to be a part of. There were probably 500 people there praying together. For an hour and a half we prayed. It was difficult for me to focus because I was thinking about the girls from my program that I mentioned above. Dallas is such a different environment than small town Indiana, I just want to find the best way to love these students. They desperately need someone to be there for them. But because I was thinking about my students, etc. it was hard for me to focus at church. Bruce did a lot of the praying, and I did a lot of the listening. But it was still good, and a very cool experience.

3. Bruce and I are having a visitor this weekend! Aaron. He was the best man in our wedding and he is Bruce's best friend. I am excited to have a visitor. I am so ready for something familiar from home. Aaron is such a good friend to Bruce, and I am excited to get to know him better. I think we are going to try to go to a Rodeo. Lots of Texas fun!

4. I need to make friends. I am getting pretty lonely. Bruce and I have lots of fun together, but I need some girl time. I'm hoping I find some girls to hang out with soon. Also, I am bad, really bad at calling my friends from Indiana. I want to/must get better at this. The thing about friendships after college is that you have to be so much more intentional about making time for them. The telephone and I don't get along well, but I thinks it's time for a change.

5. On the other hand cooking and I are getting along better. Most of the things I make turn out tasting pretty good. One of my new favorite websites is disneyfamily.com. It is a great place to find fun and easy recipes. Also, you can find fun crafts and recipes for kids. I'm going to enjoy the website even more when I'm a mom (someday far from now, but hopefully not too far). The only thing I have found about cooking is that it is pretty much impossible to make your food look like the recipe pictures. Mine always looks sloppy...but it still tastes good! Guess that's more important!

6. Seasons of change are hard. Growing up is hard. Sometimes I look at my students and I see myself back in middle school. I mean it really wasn't that long ago. I am closer in age to my students than I am to most of the teachers at my school. Transitioning from student to teacher has also been difficult. I miss college, the classes, the people, the atmosphere. I know I am exactly where God wants me, but it has still been a weird transition. I really love my job, the students I work with, and the teachers I work with. But at the same time I really miss everything familiar about Purdue, home, friends, family, classes and learning. So I am at this divide of letting go, and learning to be content and happy where I'm at.

7. Two Words. Work Out. I need to do this! I have not worked out in over a month and my body and brain miss it. It is so hard getting back on the band wagon when you've fallen (or jumped) off.

8. Bruce and I need to find a place to serve in Dallas. Whether that be at our church or somewhere else. It is so important to be an active servant of Christ, and I know that I can serve God through my job and through my relationship with Bruce, and co workers, but I would really like to find a place where Bruce and I can go and be intentional servants. I need to get on this, and find a place. I know there must be tons of city homes we could serve.

9. Lastly, think about sponsoring a Compassion Child. I went to Africa about 4 years ago now and I worked at a Compassion Center (and it was an awesome experience!!). Those kids are in need of love, financial support, and prayer. Bruce and I are supporting a lovely girl named Jolly. She's such a cutie! What I love about the Compassion Ministry is that you get to write letters, send pictures, and be in contact with your child throughout their entire lives. In some cases you can even arrange to meet your child. Think about it! Click here if you want to learn more!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday and a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment